Homestyle Stuffed Peppers! Multi-shade, nutritious bell peppers are loaded with seasoned ground beef, hearty rice and mildly sweet tomatoes, then they’re and finished with mozzarella cheese and baked until finally perfectly tender. It’s a scrumptious dinner in 1 that you’ll want to on standard rotation!
Stuffed Peppers Recipe
I’ve often loved stuffed peppers but I’ve hated the added step of boiling water and parboiling peppers just before baking. So instead, here we pre-bake the peppers (in the same baking dish you’ll currently be employing to bake the stuffed peppers) even though the filling cooks, it’s a no brainer.
Stuffed Peppers V >
Then to make prep quicker use leftover rice from a dinner you produced the day ahead of if you’ve got some.
These are simpler to make than you’d think and they make tasty left overs the next day for lunch. Plus how else could we eat a whole pepper in a single sitting? A wonderful way to get the the total family to consume more veggies!
Practically nothing fancy or complicated right here, just fresh, flavorful, comfort foods tossed and layered collectively and baked right up until completely tender and tasty.
Ingredients for Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Prolonged grain white rice – leftover rice functions fantastic if you have some.
- Bell peppers – if you’d favor you can make use all green if they’re what’s cheaper.
- Olive oil – only a minor is essential for sauteing. One more neutral oil will work such as vegetable oil.
- Ground beef – use one particular that’s 80%+ lean.
- Yellow onion and fresh garlic – these develop a scrumptious base of taste, only use fresh.
- Canned petite diced tomatoes – I like these smaller sized chunks but common reduce canned tomatoes will function fine.
- Tomato sauce – if you are seeking to reduce sodium in the recipe use no-salt tomato sauce and canned tomatoes. And of program season with much less salt.
- Italian seasoning – I really like to use this blend here rather than adding 5 kinds of dried herbs individually.
- Fresh parsley – this adds plenty of fresh flavor. It’s 1 of my go-to ingredients I always hold stocked.
- Mozzarella cheese – if you want even more flavor substitute one/4 cup of the mozzarella for parmesan.
How to Make the Very best Stuffed Peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook rice in accordance to package deal guidelines.
- Meanwhile, trim about 1/4-inch from tops of bell peppers and then get rid of stems, ribs and seeds. Fill a baking dish just large adequate to fit peppers with about 1/2-inch of water.
- Place peppers upside down in water, cover tightly with foil and bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in a huge non-stick skillet above-medium higher heat.
- Add onion and saute three minutes. Move onions to one particular far side of the skillet.
- Include beef in chunks, season with salt and pepper then let sear right up until browned on bottom, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Break up beef and toss with onions and continue to cook 2 minutes, include garlic and cook right up until beef is cooked via about one minute longer.
- Get rid of from heat, drain off excess fat (I like to tilt skillet to 1 side and dab up extra unwanted fat making use of tongs and paper towels).
- Stir in tomatoes, half of the tomato sauce (about 1/two cup), cooked rice, parsley, Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste.
How Lengthy to Cook Stuffed Peppers?
- Reduce oven temperature to 350. Turn par-baked peppers upright and fill with beef filling.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce in excess of peppers. Cover with foil and proceed to bake 20 minutes.
- Eliminate from oven, sprinkle with cheese, return to oven and bake till peppers have reached preferred tenderness, about 10 – twenty minutes (thinner peppers will be done near lesser time thicker near greater). Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.
Can I Use Brown Rice?
Yes. Brown rice will perform wonderful right here also, just use the identical volume (2 cups cooked).
Can I Use Ground Turkey alternatively of Ground Beef?
Yes. Ground turkey will function fantastic also (85 – 93% lean). Employing the brown rice and ground turkey substitutions are great more healthy alternatives right here.
Can I Cook the Stuffed Peppers in a Slow Cooker?
Yes, these can also be cooked in a slow cooker. Skip the pre-baking for the peppers, just fill them with the prepared cooked filling and cook in a slow cooker on reduced heat for about three one/two – four hrs or till tender, add cheese throughout the last 10 minutes.
How Can I Make them Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers?
- Swap the Italian seasoning with one – 2 Tbsp taco seasoning (omit salt and pepper).
- Trade the parsley for cilantro.
- Exchange mozzarella with monterey jack or cheddar cheese.
- Optional, add in some black beans for an additional filler.
Can I Put together Them Ahead of Time?
You can make prep them up to one day in advance, if going that route although I advocate boiling the topless peppers for 5 minutes very first. Then stuff them with ready filling and refrigerate. The following day let rest at space temperature whilst the oven preheats. Enhance baking time by about ten minutes or so given that they’ll be commencing out cool.